Home Editor Picks Littler fans find villain as darts star stripped of almost half his...

Littler fans find villain as darts star stripped of almost half his prize money

Littler fans find villain as darts star stripped of almost half his prize money

Luke Littler supporters have furiously taken aim at the HMRC over their blunt social post in reference to his performances at the PDC World Championship this year. On debut, the teenager managed to reach the final of the competition before being beaten by world No.1 Luke Humphries.

Littler impressed at Alexandra Palace and won over the support of the nation, with many inspired by how the 16-year-old took to the stage and beat his childhood heroes with ease. The teen left Raymond van Barneveld and Rob Cross in his wake as he cruised to the final before a brilliant comeback from Humphries prevented him from getting his hands on the Sid Waddell Trophy.

After leading 4-2 and having the chance to throw for a 5-2 lead, Littler failed to hit double two and his opponent capitalised. Humphries did not drop a set after turning the leg on its head, leaving Littler disappointed but with confidence that he can compete for the world championship for many years to come.

Littler pocketed himself a healthy £200,000 for his second-place finish at the tournament, though he won’t truly take that home as it is understood that he will lose 45 per cent of his winnings due to taxes and other related deductions.

The reduced prize has been well-reported, but the HMRC’s press office only fuelled the uproar by quote-tweeting a related article with the sarcastic caption: “Big congrats to Luke on his fantastic run to the final. We can confirm the existence of income tax.”

The post has been viewed by over 650,000 X, formerly Twitter, users and many have responded angrily to the sassy nature of the response by the official account. One user (@Vern66) responded: “Such a poor post this.”

Another (BigS189523) added: “What a disgusting post to send at the time of his success,” whilst @OliverDW90 wrote: “Nothing funny about this tweet. Inappropriate.” One X user (@RealPennyCrayon) ultimately concluded: “I think HMRC tweeting about Luke Littler’s winnings being subject to income tax has to be, so far, the most stupid tweet of the year.”

Littler has made it no secret that he is unsure what he would like to spend his prize money on since the championship concluded, recently telling The Telegraph: “I always treat myself to some Under Armour tracksuits. And just get myself a new coat and get myself some FIFA points for my Xbox. That’s pretty much it.”

Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here