English SL (EnglishSL.com)

Your Resource for Learning English
It is currently Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Get Your Essay Published
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:50 pm 
Site Admin

We have talked about writing a compare and contrast essay in the last few classes. I challenge you to write a compare and contrast essay and I will publish it on the blog. I will help you with your grammar.

What do you think of getting your essay published? I challenge you to take on this opportunity to improve your writing skills.

This is where it will get published: http://www.englishsl.com/blog/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:49 pm 
Site Admin

I miss the last class about compare and contrasst but I am working in this new challenge!

I.M.E. Juan Carlos Alvarez Cordero

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:55 am 
Site Admin

This is just a draft of my essay please help me to improve it, I am going to be more than happy to hear your opinion.

Going to a movie to watching a movie at home.

introduction

Is [it] better to watch a movie in the theater [or in one's] at home? [There] was a time when the only way to see a movie was going to the [cinema] where [the movie] was projected. [Now a] few years later[,] we [are] [able] to see [a] movie in the comfort of our [home]. [Compared this to when ] we used to see the movies in the theater. The experience of watching a movie in the theater is [much] better than see[ing] it at home.

First Paragraph

In the theater you are going to see the movie just like the director of the movie wants you to see it, the experience in the theater it is unique since the arrive to the lobby until you seat on the chair. And it is a perfect place for hangout with your friends or to have a moment of fun with the special person of your life. When you are going to the theater you already know that you are going to have a good time and when the movie it is over you can be very happy or disappointed but you never are going to be indifferent to this experience.

Second Paragraph (I think I need to make more reference to the Theater but I am not sure)

When you see a movie in the comfort of your house the experience is very different from the theater. And in your house there is no time to watch the movie, you can see it at the time that you want and you can also pause the movie if you need to and if you think that some part of the movie is boring or simply you do not want to watch it you can use the button fast forward and you can skip those parts but at the same time you are missing the movie, you are not enjoy it the experience of watch a movie you are not relax and then the movie is not accomplishing the function of entertain.

Conclusion

Going to the theater requires planning but if you are going to see the movie in your house you can see it without schedule but the experience will never be the same. The movie is filmed and a different speed than the TV can handle it meaning that the movie is not show at the same quality of the theater. The sound also is better in the theater than in your house, you are going to spend a lot of money trying to recreate the same sound that you get in a theater but is never going to be the same. For those and many other reasons the theater is the best way to see a movie.

-------------------------------------

I think I should used many of the statements in the conclusion but instead I am using others reasons and I think that is wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:55 pm 
Site Admin

Juan,

I made modified and made some suggestions to the first paragraph. Take a look over those changes and accept the ones you like. Then go through the other paragraphs. Once you have done this, let me know and I will proof the entire essay.

Great start and a topic that I like very much. Ever since a teenager, I dreamed of making a home theatre just as good as the movie theatre. :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:27 pm 
Site Admin

Juan, do you want to work on the essay?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:20 am 
Site Admin

Going to a movie to watching a movie at home.

Introduction

Is it better to watch a movie in the theater or in one's at home? There was a time when the only way to see a movie was going to the cinema where the movie was projected. Now a few years later, we are able to see a movie in the comfort of our home. Compared this to when we used to see the movies in the theater. The experience of watching a movie in the theater is much better than seeing it at home.

Topic 1
The experience of the theater has technical advantages that you will never have in home. For instance the big screen, the sound system (and no matter how much do you spend trying to recreate this experience at home, it will never be the same) and of course do not forget that you will see the movie just like was conceived. Also you have all the social advantages of this experience, a visit to the cinema is perfect for a hangout with your friends, or to have a moment of fun with the people close to you, because everyone knows that a trip to the cinema means a lot of fun and relaxation, is also a moment of gathering.

Topic 2
Watching a movie at home is an experience completely different. You can decide at what time see the movie, you do not need so much planning, you can pause the movie, skip all the parts that you consider boring or, in others words, you can ruin the movie because you will not be enjoying it. And about the social gathering, you always can invite your friends or family to watch the movie and it will be cheap but then you have to struggle with many things because you are the host like the space in your house, the drinks and food and at the end you have to clean up all the mess.

Topics 1 and 2 Together
In the theater the movie is projected a different speed than in a TV and because of that you will notice that the picture is not the same at home. The seats, the hall, the big screen all are part of the “magic” of the theater and if you want the same experience at home you will need to invest a lot of money trying to recreate it. In the theater you can be focused only in have a god time because at the end of the movie you do not have to clean anything or be worried wondering if you were a good host or not.

Conclusion

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:21 am 
Site Admin

Juan,

I rewrote the first paragraph as the thesis statement was not clear. I made some further edits. Please take another look and let me know what you think.

I think this would be a great debate topic. I tend to disagree and think the home theatre offers a better experience ;)

There was a time when the only way to see a movie was going to the cinema. Now we are able to see a movie in the comfort of our home, [with our own refreshments and the own home theatre system]. Compared this to when we used to see the movies in the theatre, [the smell of theatre popcorn and a large screen and dynamic sound]. [Watching a movie in the theatre provides a superior experience than watching a movie at home through better sound, a larger screen and the smell and taste of theatre food.]

The theatre [always] has the latest technology years before it makes its way into your home. For instance the big screen, the superior sound system can never be duplicated in the home unless you build a theatre right in your home using the same technology. Do you have a spare million dollars?

Watching a movie at home is [not a bad] experience, but it is completely different. While you can decide [when to watch] the movie, pause the movie and even skip scenes, this alters the movie experience as intended by the directors and producers of the movie. [Movies were not designed to be watched at home. In fact, movies must be reedited to be watched in the home.] Moreover, why would you wait up to six months before seeing the movie at home when you can see it on the big screen without any delay?

The theatre uses a different projection speed than in a TV. The seats, the hall, the big screen all are part of the magical experience of the theatre and if you want the same experience at home you will need to invest a lot of money trying to recreate it. The theatre does not require any investment or technical know-how to get things working. All you need to enjoy a great movie experience at the theatre is a few dollars. If you want control over your movie experience, watch it at home; if you want a great movie experience, watch it at the theatre.

I removed the section about social gathering because you can have your friends over to watch just as well as getting them to the theatre.