Home Editor Picks Greg Norman thanks Rory McIlroy for ‘falling on sword’ amid LIV Golf...

Greg Norman thanks Rory McIlroy for ‘falling on sword’ amid LIV Golf reversal

Greg Norman thanks Rory McIlroy for ‘falling on sword’ amid LIV Golf reversal

Earlier this week, Rory McIlroy joined the English podcast Stick to Football and discussed a wide variety of topics. One of them was of course LIV Golf and his disdain for the rival circuit. Except, that disdain appears to have passed as McIlroy reversed course.

Thursday, Greg Norman responded to the four-time major champion’s remarks on the LIV Golf Podcast.

“I’ve got to be honest with you – I’m very appreciative of what Rory said. It’s been a painful couple of years,” Norman stated.

“The reason I say I appreciate Rory to fall on his sword to some degree is the fact that he did judge us by not knowing the facts. He judged us on other people’s thoughts and opinions… I say ‘hey thank you Rory’. This is a significant turning point for everybody.”

Norman has been outspoken for a long time, believing in LIV and what it can do for the sport. He has warned that the Saudi-funded golf tour was not going anywhere.

While McIlroy, PGA Tour Commissioner Jay Monahan and others alluded to the end of the rival tour, Norman was steadfast in his belief.

The Aussie legend is not the only one appreciative of McIlroy’s comments.

Late Wednesday night, Phil Mickelson took to Twitter, his favorite platform. He also took the high road with a positive message for golf fans and players alike, in hopes of a unified future for the sport.

Even Brooks Koepka and his wife, Jena Sims, chimed in taking a different approach.

The self-imposed deadline between the PGA Tour and the Saudi Public Investment Fund (PIF) to strike a deal passed as the calendar turned to 2024. But talks are ongoing and there is still a chance something gets worked out.

But even if the two sides come to an agreement, one thing is sure, LIV Golf is not going anywhere.

Kendall Capps is the Senior Editor of SB Nation’s Playing Through. For more golf coverage, follow us @_PlayingThrough on all major social platforms.

Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here