Home Editor Picks David Warner explodes over Ashes ball swap controversy

David Warner explodes over Ashes ball swap controversy

0
David Warner explodes over Ashes ball swap controversy

[ad_1]

David Warner was left absolutely seething as the Ashes took another explosive turn on the final day of the series last year, new footage shows.

The opener was one of several Aussie batsmen that fell victim to the controversial replacement ball selected by umpires during Australia’s second innings run chase in the Fifth Test at The Oval.

England prevailed to win by 49 runs and tied up the series 2-2 after the introduction of a new replacement ball that resulted in Australia losing three quick wickets in the first hour of play.

Australia had dared to dream after a sensational opening stand by Usman Khawaja and Warner reached 140 runs in the morning.

But the “disgraceful” ball-swap decision made late on day four stalled Australia’s run chase and left Ricky Ponting calling for an official investigation.

Watch every match of the 2024 IPL Season LIVE on Kayo. New to Kayo? Start Your Free Trial Today >

England was allowed to change the ball 36 overs into the innings after complaints from Jimmy Anderson.

But the Poms appeared to be handed a replacement Dukes that was significantly newer than the one they’d been using and it had a devastating impact.

The incident became one of the biggest controversies in the explosive series — and Warner showed just how much the decision infuriated the Aussie dressing room in footage that is set to be released on Prime Video this week.

Footage captured in the hit The Test docu-series captures the moment Warner was spitting chips after his dismissal at the hands of Chris Woakes.

“F***ing hit the top of the f***ing shoulder,” he said as he walked back into the Aussie dressing room.

“F***ing 41 f***ing overs, the f***ing ball is brand f***ing new, mate.”

Aussie vice-captain Steve Smith says in the series, the replacement ball was “from another planet”.

“It was like it had a mind of its own,” he said.

“I think we could all see from the cameras off the ground that the ball seemed entirely different.”

Khawaja said it was “almost a brand new ball they’ve given them”.

Warner’s thoughts about the drama aren’t captured any further in the series with the 37-year-old the only member of the touring squad that wasn’t interviewed in front of the Prime Video cameras.

According to Code Sports, the reason for Warner’s omission was his desire to avoid having his retirement narrative being a central storyline in the series.

Prime Video has told news.com.au production staff were not able to complete the interview with Warner in time for delivery because of a scheduling conflict.

Warner had announced before the Test Championship final win over India that he would retire from Test cricket at the end of Australia’s summer series against Pakistan with a farewell at the SCG in January.

The latest development goes against conspiracy theories that suggested there was some deeper reason for Warner not appearing as a major focus of the series.

The veteran was far from alone in his fury about how the Fifth Test finished.

Ponting at the time did not hold back in his criticism of the on-field umpires.

“I cannot fathom how two international umpires that have done this so many times before, have got this so wrong,” he said.

“That is a huge moment in this game, potentially a huge moment in the Test match, and something I think has to be investigated.”

He went on to say: “I think it’s a huge blunder.”

Earlier this month, Prime Video footage revealed new details behind the scandalous series and captured a gut-wrenching moment Nathan Lyon was brought to tears after injuring his calf muscle.

Footage shows the cricketer was left distressed after a series-ending injury during the fateful Second Test.

— The third season of The Test will be released on Amazon Prime Video on May 24.

[ad_2]

Source link